Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Writing it Down

Stephen and I have been talking about journaling our odyssey from New England small town kids to Texas farmers for over a year now. I always find it hard to start writing because I don't know where to start... I want to start at the beginning, but where exactly IS that?

So today I am starting right where we are... two days away from closing the deal on buying a house, barns and 10 acres adjacent to the 30 acres that we bought in July 2003. We are beside ourselves with excitement! So much has happened in the past 15 months that has fallen through that it has been hard to allow ourselves the emotional freedom of really believing this is happening. We keep calling the bank and title company to double check and triple check that there isn't something else they need from us.

We have nevertheless been madly researching chickens and goats (again!) because we want so much to GET GOING once we move!! Yesterday Farmer Boy (my nickname for our son) and I spent an hour or so creating a "chicken chart" in which we recorded some of our research. We are wanting to start with a breed that is pretty gentle, and is good for both meat and eggs. We are leaning toward Buff Orpingtons right now. The chicks are also crazily cute... little puffs of yellow.

This farm is a dream come true for us. We have so many hopes and plans for it. Mostly we want to live a real life. We expect to work hard. We expect to make mistakes. And we expect we will be surprised by many things.

I know we will be blessed!!

No comments: